KIDS, CREATURES AND THANDA
The Bucks & Bugs Club
Watching your children experience the bush, discover new places and have new adventures? Priceless. At Thanda we understand that you want to share your African journey with your kids, but also need the space to do your own exploring.
Thanda's Bucks & Bugs Club ensures that your kids have the time of their lives, while you enjoy the adult activities and services the Reserve offers. From the time they arrive, kids are given all the tools they need to experience Thanda - safely.
The Junior Rangers Course
While they're staying with us, kids can join our Junior Rangers Course and spend time with one of our guides, learning the ways of the wild. They'll learn about game tracking, game spotting, spoor identification as well as bird and plant life. At the end of their stay, they will receive a Junior Ranger Certification from Thanda.
Kid-Friendly Food & Snacks
Because we strive to be a dream destination for little nature-lovers as well as big ones, Thanda’s menu includes all sorts of fodder for kids, including toasted sandwiches, hamburgers, fish and chips, spaghetti bolognese and ice cream. We’ll go out of our way to produce favourite meals and treats and to make the dining experience as exciting for your children as it is for you. Please advise us of any dietary restrictions as far in advance as possible.
Our Child Policy
- Thanda Safari Lodge: Two children under the age of 16 can share a suite with two adults.
- Villa iZulu: Children up to the age of 16 are permitted to share.
- Thanda Tented Camp: We regret that no children under the age of 8 can be accommodated at Thanda Tented Camp. One child under the age of 16 can share a tent with two adults.
Terms & Conditions
- Single beds are available for children under the age of 16 sharing with their parents.
- A children's menu is available. Please speak to the Duty Manager if your children have any specific dietary requirements.
- Nannies are available at a nominal extra rate and must be booked on arrival.
- Children under 3 may not dine in the boma, dining room or on decks. A private boma experience may be arranged for families travelling with children under 3. Alternatively, room service dinner and a babysitter can be arranged.
- Children under 6 are not allowed on game drives unless a private vehicle is booked.
- Children under 16 are not allowed on bush walks. However, at your guide's discretion special bush 'rambles' can be arranged for younger children.
Please note: We are more than willing to discuss exceptions to all child-related rules, within reason, in cases where a family or group has reserved Thanda Safari Lodge or Thanda Tented Camp in their entirety.
Thanda's nannies are mothers themselves. And, while you're out on a game drive, they'll take care of your children (all ages) as if they were family.